Saturday, June 13, 2009

Saturday Sketch Challenge!

Happy Saturday! Hopefully the birds are singing and the sun is shining where you are!

Many of our designers, have done tutorials, given you step by step instructions on how they achieved the look for their card. Just click on the samples below to be transported to each artists post.

A note about our measurements, these are just a guide to help if you are new to card making. Feel free to take creative license and change the measurements to suit your tastes. This week we will talk a bit about how to get the most out of designer series paper, (specifically with layers 3 and 4). I hope you have time to play along. This sketch is super fun to work with.
So, let's get down to business! How to cut your paper...

Layer 1 (base): cut a piece of 8 1/2" x 11 paper in half so that it measures 5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Quick Tip: if you score your card stock first at 4 1/4", then cut it, you will yield two card bases and only need to score your card stock once!
Layer 2(pink): cut a piece of paper at 5 1/4, then at 4" (you should get 4 pieces from one sheet for this layer)

Layer 3 (white): For this layer, many of our operators chose to use designer series paper. Cut a strip of dsp at 4", then cut that 4x12 sheet at 1" intervals. You can get 36" out of one sheet of dsp! How is that for economical??
Layer 4 (green): is similar. First cut your dsp at 3 1/2" then at 1".
Note: if you are only making one card, cut a 1" strip of dsp, then cut that at 4 adding 3 1/2". then you'll still have a piece of 12 x 11 DSP to play with!
For layers 5 & 6. Try measuring the block of wood from the stamp you're using and cut your layer 6 to that size. Layer 5 (which lays below it) would need to be either 1/8" or 1/4" inch larger to frame it (if you wish).

Layers 7 and 8: you can make this any shape you want, It doesn't have to be two layers.

We hope you have fun with this week's sketch and can't wait to see what you come up with! AND just for playing along, you could end up in our stamper's showcase. Please check out what last week's showcase members did. Their creations are beautiful! Mr Linky will close in the wee hours on Wednesday night!


Robin Merriman



Gretchen Barron



Connie Babbert




Selene Kempton




Lee Conrey




Patty Chesky



Saturday Sketch Challenge Participants
1. Robin
2. Karen Bernier
3. Tammy Howell
4. Angi Anderson
5. Cindy Rio
6. RobynAnn
7. Sharon Field / CreatedByU
8. Erna Logtenberg
9. Susan Shields
10. Joyce Wowczuk
11. Krista Visser-Driessen
12. Diana Eichfeld
13. Joan Ottevanger
14. jeanne nielsen
15. Karen Foltz (stampin3)
16. Beth Rhoden
17. Nancy Dawson
18. Sharon Carr

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

9 comments:

  1. Operators,

    This blog is the most amazing blog! Great challenges and great tips--for newbie stampers and for seasoned stampers alike! I'm going to tell all my stamping friends about this blog.

    Thank you!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun sketch! I love the ones that are quick and easy like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great sketch and samples! I love the variety of looks you have gotten from that sketch. I am playing along with three takes on this sketch to fit a challenge on LNStampers group! Thanks for the challenge. It was fun to play along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for another fun sketch! I am enjoying playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I found your blog! Wonderful sketches and samples. I sure plan on playing along when I can. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a lot of fun with this sketch! Amazingly, I didn't have to labor over it like usual!! Hopefully others find inspiration in my creation! Thanks for the sketch!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great sketch and cards!! I flipped the sketch for mine - hope this was ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I decided to play along last night and just got my card uploaded to my blog just now but just noticed that I had to have it uploaded last night!! I guess I should read the guidelines before the fact!!!LOL!!! Anyway I still wanted to share my card with you all. I had fun playing and can't wait to do it again!!

    http://mycraftyworld.blogspot.com/2009/06/happy-birthday-princess.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, I'm late (I did have the card done just didn't get time to edit the photos and post on my blog until now). Still wanted to share since you inspired me!
    Cat’s Creation

    ReplyDelete